Buzzed Bands Podcast, Ep. 2 w/ Cold Blood Club

Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Knee Surgery Journal, Entry #1

A few months ago I signed up for the WORD basketball league in Greenpoint. It's basically a nerd b-ball league composed of patrons of WORD bookstore. I used to be a pretty legit athlete back in the day but unfortunately it's been many years since I played anything competitively. The chance to play in a competitive league with people of equally diminished skill sets was too good to pass up.

We named our team Dunk Quixote, we were encouraged to have a literary name, and despite our short stature quickly made a name for ourselves and became one of the teams to beat. About three games into the season, some of the teams met up on an off night for some pick up. For whatever reason the biggest dude on the court decided he wanted to guard me out by the three point line. I'm a pretty fast dude so I welcomed this challenge because I knew I could blow right by him. Well, I did but at the last second in an attempt to cut me off he stuck his giant knee out which collided with my left hip.

The result was a deep muscle contusion and I had to sit out a game (which we ended up forfeiting because we only had 4). That should have been a sign that maybe I should slow down a bit. Maybe I should face the fact that I'm getting too old for this shit. Of course, in reality it had the opposite effect. I had to prove to myself that I still got, so I showed up and went even harder.

Then, about a month ago, we had a Monday game against one of the worst teams in the league - a sure win for Dunk Quixote. But sometimes the sports gods like to mix it up a bit and somehow this team that only had two wins starts beating up on us. As team captain I felt like I had to personally take it up a notch and get the momentum back in our favor.

But let's go back to the injury, the thing about a muscle contusion is my left leg was essentially useless for a week. I simply couldn't use it and, as such, it withered a bit. My thigh muscle shrunk, my hamstring tightened up and well, it wasn't it's normal self. This game was only my second back after my injury. Combine that with the worst team in the league kicking your ass and you've got an accident waiting to happen.

I don't remember the exact sequence of events (excruciating pain fucks with your memory) but I know I was driving to the basket against two defenders. I went up for some kind of off balance layup and came down off balance, on my left leg. As my foot touched the blacktop and I looked down I saw my knee start to bend sideways. Then came several disturbingly loud snapping and popping sounds - like a death metal version of Rice Crispies. To the ground I went clutching my knee and screaming like a wounded soldier. It fucking hurt!

Now whether or not the previous injury played a part or not I'm not sure but either I knew it was bad. I skipped the hospital and called my doctors emergency line. He confirmed that the hospital would be a waste and set me up with an MRI and orthopedist.

The orthopedist I saw is one of the best in the country. He's the official sports medicine guy for the NY Rangers and has done shit for ESPN, Men's Health and more. I was in good hands for sure but when I paid him a visit I got some unsettling news - he didn't know what was wrong. The MRIs were inconclusive due to swelling. He told me my meniscus was definitely messed up but he wasn't sure how bad. Then came the scary part, my ACL might be torn as well. The only way to find out is to go in there, surgery was inevitable.

So that brings us to today, a beautiful Saturday in NYC, but not for me. Yesterday I underwent said surgery and of the 3 or 4 possible scenarios I ended up with the absolute worst - ACL reconstruction. The operation went well and I was all loopy from morphine and percocet yesterday. I got home plugged in my 24-hour ice pack, ordered a salad from Willburg Cafe and watched Raising Arizona with my girlfriend. I was feeling A-OK all considered.

And then I did something stupid, I went to bed and woke up. Then "blocker" (which is local anesthesia) on my leg completely wore off, the ice in my 24-hour ice pack melted and excruciating pain set in. I type this from my bed, head at a very awkward angle (have to keep my knee above my heart) and experiencing the worst pain I've ever felt. It's much like I'd imagine it feels like to have a gator clamp down on your leg - lots of pressure and sharp, stabbing pain.

So this is day one of my recovery. It's a bit of a bummer but I wanted to share since it is, and has been, effecting this blog and my putting events together. Hopefully, I'll update this daily but considering my day will mostly be popping pills and laying in bed maybe we'll make it every other day.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails